Today we have guest blogger, Bertrand Matthelie, Senior Principal Product Marketing Director, providing us with insights into the value of migrating your SAP applications to Oracle Cloud.
SAP NetWeaver-based applications have last year been certified on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. NetWeaver-based applications represent most of the deployed SAP applications, and the majority of them are powered by Oracle databases. Indeed, while SAP is encouraging customers to move to S/4HANA, a Rimini Street survey shows that 65% of them have no plans to do so. They’re unable to build a business case, deem the ROI unclear, consider S/4HANA to be an unproven, early stage product, and face significant migration & implementation costs. Most customers want instead to keep running their existing proven SAP applications that they spent years customizing to their needs. At the same time however, they face pressure to reduce costs and improve agility to better support the business. Digital disruption is hard at work in all industries and organizations are looking for ways to shift resources from maintenance to innovation. Up to 80% of IT budgets can be spent on “keeping the lights on”; moving enterprises applications to the cloud represents an attractive way to reduce costs, free up resources and focus on higher value activities than infrastructure management.
Moving SAP applications & Oracle Databases to Oracle Cloud enables customers to preserve existing investments while accelerating innovation, relying on the only cloud architected for enterprise workloads and optimized for Oracle Database. Key benefits include:
- High and predictable performance for SAP/enterprise applications with dedicated bare metal instances as well as high performance network and storage resources.
- Best Oracle Database performance: As demonstrated in a recent Accenture report focused on running enterprise workloads in the cloud, Oracle databases run up to 7.8x faster on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) vs leading cloud provider.
- Lower costs & transparency: The Accenture report also demonstrates that customers can benefit from up to 34% lower infrastructure costs for their SAP/enterprise workloads relying on OCI vs leading cloud provider. Additionally, there are no hidden costs with Oracle Cloud, and Universal Credits allow you to benefit from simple, flexible and predictable pricing.
- Security and governance: Compute and network isolation help ensure data security; Compartment capabilities coupled with identity and access management and audit allow visibility and control for your SAP deployments.
- Complete & integrated cloud, enabling you to leverage Oracle’s most comprehensive PaaS & SaaS offering to for example connect your existing SAP applications to SaaS modules from any provider, or to extend your SAP applications with mobile interfaces or chatbots. According to the Rimini Street survey mentioned earlier, 30% of surveyed SAP customers look to augment their existing platforms with cloud applications for innovation.
Let us know if you have any question or comment.